Become a wise credit consumer
Establishing good credit is the key to financial success, enabling you to finance cars, homes, higher education and more. Whether you’re new to credit or a credit connoisseur, it’s important to establish these 8 responsible card usage habits:
- Never miss a payment. It can negatively affect your credit score and may result in closure of your account.
- Make your minimum monthly payments. This shows a good-faith effort on your part at repaying your debt.
- Understand when interest is charged. If you only pay the minimum amount due each month, an interest charge will be applied to your remaining balance. Pay more than the minimum each month to be charged less interest.
- Know the rules. Carefully review the Cardmember Agreement and disclosures you receive with your new card. If you have questions about the terms, call and ask Cardmember Service.
- Review your statements every month. If you notice any fraudulent charges on your account, notify Cardmember Service immediately.
- Only purchase items you can afford. If you cannot afford to pay for an item over a reasonable period of time, then you may need to hold off on that purchase.
- Avoid cash advances. Interest rates on cash advances are generally much higher than on purchases and a cash advance will also incur a fee on your account.
- Keep your card safe. Avoid fraud by protecting your card number and monitoring your account closely. Our partner, ATIRAcredit, offers free fraud text alerts to keep you alerted to potential fraud.